Tuesday, September 20, 2016

White Privilege- McIntosh Reflection

         While going through this reading I immediately felt connected to it because it's from the point of view of a woman, while most white privilege articles I find are written by men. It hit home when McIntosh made the comment on how we are taught that our (white) lives are normal, completely ignoring the idea of privilege.

         "I think white are carefully taught now to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege.... whites are taught to think of their lives as morally neutral, normative, and average, and also ideal..."(McIntosh). 

It's weird to think that while this schooling may not have been intentional, it still contributed to the ignorance of white men and women alike. None of us actually understand what it's like being a person of color in today's society.

         When McIntosh went into her list of how she benefits from white privilege there were a few that especially stuck out to me because I actually notice them every day or at least am conscious of them.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection. 
18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.
26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race. 
30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.
34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.

Of course every point she makes is valid, but it was almost nice to know that a lot of people see the race problem in our country, because I do personally put a lot of thought to it. People always want to shy away from the topic, which only shows that it is a problem. This is part of what contributes to our nation being so ignorant. People are afraid of change and afraid to be the minority. White people just assume that they'll always be in charge, so they subconsciously try to keep everyone else below them. 


White privilege isn't something that can be solved in a day, month, or even a year, but raising awareness is the only way to help equal things out. When you become aware of privilege, you gain the ability to help the people who don't have the same benefits as you. What I'm trying to say is that white privilege can be a good thing to use, while at the same time fighting it. We can let the people of color in our nation fight alone, when it's clear that we hold the most power and suffer far less consequences.











No comments:

Post a Comment