Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Christensen- Hyperlinks

I found that the Christensen reading was very important and I enjoyed going through it. Christensen writes about how his students reacted to certain cartoons and that helps to make the article relatable.

I really love Disney so while the embedded racism almost hurts me, its still something that I enjoy analyzing and talking about, so I'm going to extend on Christensen.

When I was a kid I didn't quite realize how racist movies and cartoons were, but here's a list that actually puts 10 of them in order. While there are other stereotyping problems like body type and wealth as Christensen says, I believe that the racism is one of the biggest problems, since it's a topic that no one wants to talk about.

There are 10 movies/cartoons in the list hyperlinked above, but one that isn't mentioned is Mulan. I found another blog about Mulan that discusses not only the race problem but the sexism mentioned. As said in the article, Mulan is seen as a feminist movie, but the beginning of the movie is extremely sexist when dealing with the matchmaker. This was brushed off because it's "chinese culture", but it's over stereotyped and offensive chinese culture. Christensen mentions how the newer disney movies, including Mulan, make it harder to see the problematic themes because hiding racism has become easier, which I believe is because we live in a society that prefers to remain ignorant to racism.

While I did say that racism is the biggest issue with most Disney movies, the body images portrayed by Disney are also horrible and even dangerous. Disney princesses are all made out of the same mold.. beautiful hair with a tiny waistline. Why is it so taboo to have an average sized princess, when this is how it makes us feel. These movies are targeted to young girls who dream of being a princess. It's hard to imagine yourself as a princess when you dress up and don't look anything like the movies.  I guess one reason that princesses are shaped the way they are is because the only attribute their allowed to have is their beauty!


1 comment:

  1. really well written and i'm always a fan of the pictures you add in. In this case the picture adds even more to the point you already made with the bubbles for each character.

    ReplyDelete